Nslookup sends queries to Internet domain name servers. It
has two modes: interactive and non-interactive. Interactive
mode allows the user to contact servers for information
about various hosts and domains or to display a list of
hosts in a domain. Non-interactive mode is used to display
just the name and requested information for a host or
- A: the host's Internet address.
- CNAME: the canonical name for an alias.
- MX: the mail exchanger.
- NS: the name server for the named zone.
- SOA: the domain's "start-of-authority" information.
- PTR: the host name if the query is an Internet address; otherwise, the pointer to other information.